Getting major media coverage is really easy. It doesn’t matter which niche your in. The trick is to not spam, mass mail or share a press release.
Instead pitch the journalist by showing the person that you read their content and how the writer’s article benefited you. From there you just need to make sure your pitch is relevant to their interests and most importantly will benefit their audience.
Here is how I pitch journalists and get media coverage in 6 easy steps:
- Find at least two topically relevant articles (one must be recent)
- No “we, we” syndrome
- Comment on something that can only exist within their post
- Compliment, don’t judge
- Don’t leave a statement blank
- Remove why your company is great, who the founders are and anything not relevant to what the editor writes about
Find at least two topically relevant articles (one must be recent)
The first step is to find journalists that write about your topic and still work for the publication. You can automate this with scrapers or do it manually. Manually is easy so don’t stress if you aren’t familiar with crawling and scraping data.
You can find editors by:
- Searching for a keyword or phrase on the website
- Open one article by each journalist in a new tab
- Clicking through to the editor’s bio page
- Looking for topically relevant posts
Now comes the important step. [Read more…] about How to Pitch a Journalist and Get Coverage in 6 Easy Steps