Although it is situational, landing pages should not be indexable for the search engines. There are some that serve a specific purpose and are index worthy, but they are few and far between. As a best practice use a meta robot with the noindex, follow direction and make sure any internal links follow your core site’s architecture and structure.
Below I go into different types of landing pages and if they should or should not be indexable by Google and other search engines. But first, lets cover a few questions to ask yourself when trying to decide and based on your specific needs.
- Is the page going to be taken down within the next year?
- Does the landing page compete with core site pages?
- Are there other pages with similar content on the site or that are also being used?
- Should it be shown for specific search queries over main site pages or blog posts?
- Have you provided a reason for a search engine to show it?
If the answer to any of these is no, then it gets a meta no index. I go into more detail about each of these below.